« Home | big bright green pleasure machine » | melancholy in the kitchen or the fundamental inter... » | let it blossom let it grow » | a fragrant springtime spell » | the importance of foreplay » | daily soap and bread » | sometimes a rolling pin is just a rolling pin » | recipe index »

what should be done

so, it's may already and high time to post more about my "eat local"-project this month. it was inspired by this site but is not directly linked to it as i am not an author on the collaborative blog. don't ask me why, but my gut feeling was totally against it maybe i will drop jen an email within the next few days but i can't promise anything.

so, without further ado i will sum up the rules of my game for you, my valued readers:


  • first and very obvious: consume as much of my daily energy intake from locally produced food as possible, focusing on organically grown produce.

  • exceptions: spices, tea, olive oil, some italian cheeses (unfortunately i still haven't found a local source for mozzarella but we'll see), eating out (i am always pleased to see when restaurants prefer locally produced ingredients, but i am not about to give up eating out just because that's not the case everywhere).

  • resolutions and ideas: i will bake my own bread and make pasta as often as possible, continue growing sprouts, grow as many vegetables and herbs on the balcony as possible without significantly raising my mother's blood pressure, try a few recipes from my grandma's cookbook and generally make as many half-forgotten traditional austrian dishes as i can stand or have the time and appetite to.


right now i don't have the patience to write a lot more (microbiology and physiology tests to come in two weeks...) but feel free to add anything that i left out but that seems important to you, i will probably include it into my list.

Hope it works out! There was a couple in Vancouver who ate entirely local for one year. But that is not possible for everyone and you clearly set realistic goals. Keep it up!

wow, that's tough... my goal is to keep my eyes peeled for local alternatives whenever possible and to cut down on chocolate (especially now after easter...). it doesn't make much sense to me to force myself into a totally new pattern that i can't keep up. plus i am much to busy (other people tend to call it lazy but don't listen to them) to completely change my life/cooking style.

Post a Comment